Union Rights

What are Union rights in the work place?

Can my employer stop me joining a union?

No. Trade Union membership is protected by freedom of association legislation. It is unlawful for an employer to subject you to a detriment for the purpose of preventing or deterring you from being, or seeking to become, a member of a trade union or penalising you for doing so. You are under no obligation to tell your employer that you have joined a union.

My employer doesn’t formally recognise Community, what does this mean?

Unions that represent a certain proportion of a workforce can have their presence formally recognised by law. This requires employers to collectively bargain with unions on behalf of their members in relation to pay and working conditions. Even if your employer does not recognise Community for collective bargaining, you still have the right to request to be accompanied to disciplinary and grievance hearing by a trade union representative.

This information is intended as a general guide and does not constitute legal advice. To find out if this information is relevant to your situation, please contact your Branch Secretary or call the member service centre on 0800 389 6332